MABUHAY !!!!

MABUHAY!!! It's our way of greeting visitors to the Philippines. It means "to life" or "long-live". In one word, it encapsulates who we are as a nation. Nowhere else in the world will you find a people with such a zest for life. In times of war or peace, the Filipino will always come out on top. We make light of everything... bad politics, showbiz scandals...even natural disasters... But that is what makes our country UNIQUE. It's the ever present smile on the Filipinos faces that helps us survive. So if you're interested in what makes the Philippines and the Filipinos tick... feel free to read on...



Celdran Does Chinatown


I was in Binondo again this morning. I had to take a cab so i won't miss an important appointment. I was meeting the tour group at Polland Cafe at the foot of Jones Bridge. One was Jamie Santos , the producer and the other was David Celdran, host of The Executive Class aired on Sundays at the ABS CBN News Channel. They two other guys to cover us: their director and their gofer whose names i can't recall.

Along the tour route, people were trying to catch David's attention. Surprisingly, they were polite in expressing their admiration and not trying to intrude in the tour. Most of them showed their appreciation by telling him either they love his show or that they are fans of his, causing me to comment how high his viewership in Binondo must be. Well, what's one to do? They're the ones who appreciate the finer things in life... they can well afford the items being peddled.



WE did a hightlights tour as the show had a limited airtime. It was supposed to be a shared guiding experience with Joy Co. Unfortunately, Joy made other plans way before the scheduled tour. She was to accompany a balik-bayan cousin to Tagaytay. Veronica Go had something she had to work on and finish. Candie Cobiao left for Taiwan after the Marine conservationists tour. Where are the Chinoy Mabuhay Guides when you need them? I did the tour by my lonesome.

I really have to get used to these TV shoots. David has the habit of walking and talking at the same time. I guess it makes for a good visual peg that isn't static or boring. So there were times when i let go of the Blue Badge of London tenet of "no walking and talking at the same time". I had to adjust to my host or he'd leave me behind and how would that look on TV? LOL!!!

Nonetheless, David was a most gracious host. He would stop at strategic points that I pointed out just so he could admire architectural details and ask questions along the way. He can put you at ease without really trying. We exchanged banter along the way and talked casually over various topics under the sun. I hope he enjoyed the experience of seeing Binondo with "new eyes" as much as I enjoyed showing the sights on cam.



Never mind that I looked like an "indio" with my dark skin next to his pale mestizo matinee idol good looks. He relished eating the food with gusto and even talked to the store owners and their help. Some people eyed him quizically with that " I know this guy from somewhere" look and then they smile when he greets them with a "hi" and a smile. Ok, so good looks can take you places. This guy, is smoooothhh!

He's a lot of fun to hang with and although he's a celebrity, he doesn't have attitude. Jamie was fun to be with as well... She is young for a producer. Unassuming, helpful and creative. She has an eye for nice shots and she made sure she covered the TVPs visually for TV.

People often ask me if I ever get bored showing Binondo and Escolta over and over again. It's preparing for the tour that i hate. I have to make sure all my information is correct and i have to add some other nuggets that I've recently discovered. It's the preparation that's a drag but the experience, is well worth it!

David asked me what other stuff I do... Well... This is IT!

No comments: